MINOR LEAGUE OPENING DAY! And it wasn’t without theatrics…Tebow homered, There was a slaughter for Columbia in general as they knocked in 14. Rosario and Smith did excellent, and so did Church in Hi-A. Binghamton was rained out.
El Paso Chihuahuas (San Diego) 8, Las Vegas 51’s 1 Box Score
- Gavin Cecchini 2B 0 for 4, BB
- Amed Rosario SS 2 for 4, SB, R
- Dominic Smith 1B 2 for 4, 2B,
- Phillip Evans 3B 1 for 4, K, E
LHP Adam Wilk 4 ip, 4 R, 3 ER, 4K 6.75 ERA
RHP Paul Sewald IP, BB, 3K
Cecchini had a rough 2017 debut, and grounded into a double play to end the game. Rosario and Smith did very well, with Dominic hitting a double close to the wall. Rosario stole a base after his first single, and lined two into left field overall. Taijeron allowed a ball through his legs that went to the wall and allowed Carlos Asuaje touch em’ all without hitting it out of the park. Adam Wilk wasn’t effective after the fourth inning, and the rest of the bullpen followed suit until Sewald struck out 3 in the 8th inning.
— Las Vegas 51s (@LasVegas51s) April 7, 2017
Palm Beach Cardinals 3, St. Lucie Mets 1 Box Score
- DH Wuilmer Becerra 1 for 3, HBP
- 1B Peter Alonso 0 for 4, K, GIDP
- C Patrick Mazeika 2 for 3, HR, BB
- RF Enmanuel Zabala 2 for 3, BB
Andrew Church, 5.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 K’s.
St. Lucie dropped a hard-luck loss against the Cardinal Hi-A Affiliate in their first season. Andrew Church pitched very well, but took the loss because the team could not score more than one run, a homer from Patrick Mazeika. 2nd rounder Peter Alonso had a tough debut. Jhoan Urena walked twice. Justin Brantley kept the mini-Cards scoreless. Top Prospect Marcos Molina was placed on the 7-day disabled list, AAUGH!
Columbia Fireflies 14, Augusta GreenJackets (San Francisco) 7 Box Score
- Gene Cone RF 0 for 1, 4 BB, 2 R
- Luis Carpio 2B 2 for 5, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Desmond Lindsay CF 0 for 3, RBI, BB, 2 K
- Blake Tiberi 3B 2 for 3, 2B, RBI, 2 BB, 3 R, K
- Dash Winningham 1B 3 for 5, HR, 4 RBI, K
- Michael Paez 2B 2 for 4, HR, 2 RBI, BB, K
- Tim Tebow LF 1 for 5, HR, 2 RBI, 3 K
- Milton Ramos DH 0 for 5, 2K
- Ali Sanchez C 3 for 4, BB, 3 R, Passed Ball
RHP Harol Gonzalez 3.2 ip, 6H, 5 ER, 3 BB 3K 12.27 ERA
RHP Matthew Blackham 2 ip, H, 2 BB, 3 K
The entire Columbia lineup sans Ramos was noteworthy. Three home runs hit by Tebow, Paez, and Winningham in an offensive onslaught. The team walked 9 times. Tiberi and Carpio each accounted for four runs. Top Catching prospect Sanchez hit three straight singles, but allowed two stolen bases and a passed ball. Cone’s four walks was the epitome of leadoff hitter. Tebow’s home run happened in his first at bat, off Domenic Mazza, who was drafted in the 22nd round of the 2015 draft, 666th overall. If there is a god, he has a sense of humor. Gonzalez lost steam after three innings, and needs to work himself back up to stick as a starter.
— Columbia Fireflies (@ColaFireflies) April 7, 2017
Follow us on Twitter at @MetsTProspects and like our Facebook Page! We also appreciate comments!